31 de agosto de 2013

My world changed after Okinawa

From 31 July to 11 August I have been to Okinawa - the southern islands pertaining to Japan since the end of 19th century for those not familiar with this Far East country geography and history. Although I am still not able to understand why, I know that this journey has affected me deeply at this moment.

Since I came back from Okinawa, I want to talk about how great and beautiful it was to be there, but, at the same time, I feel like not extending myself too much in the conversation, because some deep stuff are wanting to emerge. And if it happens I go further than the simple "yeah, it was beautiful and pleasant journey", I feel I am talking about things that are "not of my business".

I mean I don't wanna talk only about how awesome the beaches are, I also wanna say how I am more and more convinced that  Okinawa is not Japan; how small details make the difference... But, more, and here things get complicated: I wanna criticize Japan for the big issues I have been seeing and working with basically since I started being able to transit out of "being able to order and buy food" bubble. I wanna say how I feel more on the side of the Okinawans, or Uchinaa-n-chi, than on the Japanese side. I wanna emphasize how Okinawa is forgoten by Japan and relegated to a second plane to see if people argue, discuss or are able to see and analyze all the matters Okinawa has to deal with for decisions it has never made, or how their culture was downsized to something like "folk Okinawan stuff" instead of "people's traditions".

Everytime I listen to a Okinawan song, I feel my soul back to the bliss and to the days full of natural smiles and relaxed fun. But I can't stop the memories of American army helicopters training over beatiful islands. I can't stop myself thinking about how people overevaluated the impact of Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombs (check here for an analysis more structured, that somehow confirm my view and my impressions of these 2 and a half years and makes me think I'm not that dumb) and forgot about the final and bloody battles of Okinawa. I myself saw survivors about 100 years old talking about the weeks when they were still hiding themselves - not only from the enemy but also from Japanese forces - inside caves and drinking water with remanings of dead bodies (it was all that remained to drink) because they didn't know the war was over or they didn't know where to go. On the other side, a transcription of a commander of Japanese forces at the end of war saying something like "thank you for serving, now go on with your lives, you're free". Even before discussing what Japan thinks it's freedom (that's a way more complicated discussion) I ask myself how the victims don't feel anger, how they're still alive without feeling depressed with this world.

More impressions to come...
For the song I always listen to:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfZ_1DxQ_hU

Nenhum comentário: