8 de março de 2013

11 March 2011

It has been a while I want to write about March. March 11, 2011 more specifically. Two main reasons finally brought me here to my white table with view to the spring flowers wanting to bloom: tonight (or this morning, we can't ever say when it happens during sleeping time and is not so strong) one of the almost daily earthquakes shook my bed; also, yesterday I had realized how much I underestimate Japanese people despite of my intense love and admiration for them.

I came to Japan at a very delicate moment: just after the triple disaster of 2011. It was a very hard decision at that moment to choose between coming exactly on April, later or simply giving up. But we all came, all the scholarship students selected by the Consulate of Japan in São Paulo.

Part of the city I visited one year after the disaster. This used to be
a rest house. I was told basically everyone there died
as they were too aged and couldn't run from the tsunami
 For me, besides the professional and personal circunstances pushing me to come instead of staying in Brasil, there was a feeling of duty and gratitude which kept saying "Japan needs you now much more than Brasil needs. Help the country that helped you". I know that, actually, for the Japanese Ministry of Education, I'm no more than a number and that this feeling I've just described may sound naive. Also, probably objectively I didn't not help the country. With my linguistic difficulties and all the shocks I had suffered with, I was afraid of going to one of those volunteer works and ending up disturbing more than helping. I was also afraid of seeing things I wasn't prepared to see back then, more exactly, a war scenery.


But on the top of all those things: I was more interested in talking to people, people who were feeling abandoned and as a burden for Japan (as I sometimes think Okinawans feel). People affected by such huge problems. I wanted to know how they felt, I wanted to be a shoulder.

One year after my arrival, I was finally able to visit one of the affected areas: Minamisoma, a city also frightened by the horror of nuclear disaster. I can't describe how abandoned and opressed one can feel there. The kids are not allowed to stay outside, half of their friends moved out to the South of Japan (in order to avoid exposition to radiation) more than half of the population moved out. Stores are closed, many ghost towns surrounding it. And people who need to talk and have fun with whom is available to be their companion! It was an amazing experience! One of the moments I most felt there is hope and solution for everything, because all in all, human beings need of the same basic things everywhere in the world!
Flowers prepared by Minamisoma's children in the Happy Flower Project.
On the back, with pannels with messages and drawings made during the activity,
mostly "let's keep fighting"

Not only there I had this feeling of "reward". One of the commentaries I have most listened so far when talking to Japanese people even out of Fukushima is "wow, you are very brave to come! Everyone was leaving at that moment (2011)". And then I noticed a certain "it's good not to feel abandoned". Yes, even Tokyo was much different in 2011, I can say for sure. Everything was cancelled, postponed, had an exception because of the earthquake. The places were not so crowded as they have been again since last year and we basically didn't see foreigners around. The country was somehow abandoned and we felt that our life was around the earthquake (the past one or any other new that could strike the country). In my opinion, the brave here is not myself, but Japanese people! They keep striving, findind alternative ways to face the disaster, the lack of support, and the disregard of Japanese government.



Middle March is the time to rethink my arrival and evaluate how much Japan changed my life. My inspiration (a bit tacky or even repeatedly listened on the media, but...) is here.

Nenhum comentário: